Herbs: Very Useful in Cooking and Medicine
Herbs are found in nature in wide variety. With wide use, they are very useful in cooking, medicinal use and also in other fields.
Main features and applications
Its green leaves are often used in cooking, but its roots, flowers, seeds, stems and some other parts are widely used by complementary medicine for its medicinal characteristics.
In general, we can understand that herbs have different types of applications. These differences can be observed between medicinal herbs and those specific to cooking (also known as aromatic herbs).
In the case of medicinal herbs, they can be used more widely and many parts can be used.
The opposite is true for culinary-specific herbs, where the most common is the use of their leaves.
Examples of known herbs (popular name and scientific name)
- Arnica (Arnica montana L)
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis L)
- Shrub Balm (Lippia alba)
- Saint Mary's wort (Chenopodium ambrosioides L)
- St. John's wort (Hypericum perforatum L)
- Yerba mate (Ilex paraguariensis A. St.-Hil.)
- Comfrey (Symphytum officinale L)
- Salvia (Salvia officinalis L)