We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Rodents: Powerful Teething
What are and main features
Rodents are mammalian animals of the order Rodentia. There are about two thousand rodent species in the world. There is great diversity among rodents, but there is one feature in common with all of them: strong and powerful teething. With their incisive teeth they can gnaw various types of food, as well as wood and even some types of stones.
Most rodents are small (between 100 and 200 grams). They are found on all continents (except Antarctica).
Most rodents are terrestrial and plantigrade (animals that walk on the soles of the feet).
Another common feature among most rodents is rapid reproduction, as females are able to have many children in a single year. In addition, they have the ability to adapt to various habitat types.
Regarding social habits, rodents and chiropractors (bats) are sociable (live in groups), but insectivores have a more solitary life.
Examples of rodent animal species:
- Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrocoerus)
- European Beaver (Fiber beaver)
- Chinchilla (Chinchilla lanigera)
- Red Squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris)
- Flying squirrel (Pteromys volans)
- Desert Gerbil (Jaculus jaculus)
- Common hamster (Cricetus cricetus)
- Arctic hare (Lepus arcticus)
- Gray Dormouse (Glis glis)
- Groundhog (Groundhog groundhog)
- Dwarf Bat (Pipistrellus pipistrellus)
- Black bat (Barbastella barbastellus)
- Tuco-tuco (Ctenomys sp.)
- Vizcacha (Lagostomus maximus)
- Mouse (Mus musculus)
- Common shrew (Sorex araneus)
- Rat (Rattus norvegicus)
- Hedgehog (Erinaceus europaeus)
- Guinea pig (Cavia porcellus)
- Kangaroo rat (Dipodomys ordii)
- Mole (Talpa europaea)
Scientific classification of rodents:
- The largest rodent in the world is the capybara. It can reach 70 pounds and 1.30 meters in length.
- The fastest rodent species are gerbils and kangaroo rats. Both can reach between 45 and 48 km / h.
Capybara, the largest rodent in the world.